Are you new to English class? Feeling nervous about speaking with native speakers? Don’t worry, the best thing to do is just try. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes – that is how you learn!
1) Practice speaking every chance you get! (Example: ordering coffee, shopping, asking for directions, etc).
2) Read English-speaking newspapers or online articles. (Free newspapers like Metro and 24Hrs are a good place to start – lots of pictures!)
3) Read children’s books, the grammar and vocabulary are easier. Get a library card or buy them from the Dollar Store.
4) Listen to English songs, google the lyrics and sing along (you might want to do this in private unless you’re a really good singer ;))
5) Watch English movies and TV shows – No subtitles!
6) Make friends with people from other countries so you’re not tempted to speak in your own language.
7) Participate in social events, join a salsa class, or a free yoga class.
8) Join a free conversation group or language exchange. (Maybe your co-worker is dying to learn Spanish to impress the cute guy in the office downstairs – you can help each other!)
9) Talk to your teacher for advice on any specific things you need to work on, for example, maybe there’s one word you always say wrong.
10) DON’T BE AFRAID TO MAKE MISTAKES! The more you speak, the faster you learn – and that is why you’re here!